- Jia, L. & Liang, F. (2021). The globalization of TikTok: Strategies, governance, and geopolitics. Journal of Digital Media & Policy, 12(2), 273-292.
- Kim, Y., Chen, Y., & Liang, F. (2021). Engineering care in pandemic techno-governance: The politics of care in China and South Korea’s COVID-19 tracking apps. New Media & Society, 1-19.
- Liang, F., Chen, Y., & Zhao, F. (2021). The platformization of propaganda: How Xuexi Qiangguo expands persuasion and assesses citizens in China. International Journal of Communication, 15, 1855–1874.
- Lee, S., Liang, F., Hahn, L., Lane, D., Weeks, B., & Kwak, N. (2021). When it seems bots have liked it: The impact of social endorsement cues and manipulability concerns on perceptions of news credibility. Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, 1-6.
- Campbell, S., Zhao, F., Frith, J., & Liang, F. (2021). Imagining 5G: Public sense-making through advertising in China and the US. Mobile Media & Communication, 1-16.
- Liang, F. (2020). COVID-19 and Health Code: How digital platforms tackle the pandemic in China. Social Media + Society, 1-4.
- Liang, F. (2019). The New Silk Road on Facebook: How China’s official media cover and frame national initiative for global audiences. Communication & the Public, 4(4), 261-275.
- Lane, D. S., Lee, S. S., Liang, F., Kim, D. H., Shen, L., Weeks, B. E., & Kwak, N. (2019). Social media expression and the political self. Journal of Communication, 69(1), 49-72.
- Liang, F., Das, V., Kostyuk, N., & Hussain, M. M. (2018). Constructing a data‐driven society: China’s Social Credit System as a state surveillance infrastructure. Policy & Internet, 10(4), 415-453.
- Kwak, N., Lane, D. S., Lee, S. S., Liang, F., & Weeks, B. E. (2018). From persuasion to deliberation: Do experiences of online political persuasion facilitate dialogic openness?. Communication research, 1-23.
- Liang, F. (2018). Book review: Can the Internet strengthen democracy? Global Media and Communication, 14(3), 368-369.
- Kostyuk, N., Chen, W., Das, V., Liang, F., & Hussain, M. M. (2017). High-tech governance through big data surveillance: Tracing the global deployment of mass surveillance infrastructures, 1995 to present. SSRN, 1-38.
Papers Under Review
- Liang, F., Zhu, Q., & Li, M. (Under review). The effects of source flagging on news sharing: Quasi-experimental evidence from Twitter. The International Journal of Press/Politics.
- Campbell, S., Liang, F., & Frith, J. (Under review). Imagining 5G: Public sense-making through news articles in China and the US. Computers in Human Behavior.
- The 71st International Communication Association (ICA) Annual Conference, 27-31 May 2021. Virtual Conference
- The 70th International Communication Association (ICA) Annual Conference, 21-25 May 2020. Virtual Conference
- The 5th International Conference on Computational Social Science, July 17-20, 2019. University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- International Communication Association (ICA) Annual Conference, May 24-28, 2019. Washington, D.C.
- The Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC) Conference. August 6-9, 2018. Washington, D.C.
- International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR) Annual Conference. June 20 - 24, 2018. University of Oregon, Eugene, OR
- International Communication Association (ICA) Annual Conference, May 24-28, 2018. Prague, the Czech Republic
- The 16th Chinese Internet Research Conference. May 22-23, 2018. Leiden University, Netherlands
- Digital Transformation in China – Recent Trends and Impacts. January 19, 2018. Freie Universität Berlin, Berlin, Germany
- Data Science Research Forum. December 1, 2017. Ann Arbor, MI
- The 15th Chinese Internet Research Conference. June 5-6, 2017. Fort Worth, TX
- Global Fusion Conference. October 13-14, 2017. Athens, OH
- International Communication Association (ICA) Preconference, May 25, 2017. San Diego, CA
- Science, Technology, and the Politics of Knowledge in Global Affairs, March 30-31, 2017. Northwestern University, Chicago, IL